Friday 5 February 2016

Powdered Sugar

I remember just after we learned of Ry's allergy I started to walk through the house reading labels and crying.  Every single item I picked up had corn.  I picked up the bag of icing sugar I had in the house and was only slightly surprised when I saw that corn starch was the second ingredient.  I am not sure why icing sugar with corn in it made me so upset but it did.  I sat on the floor holding the bag and cried. At that time everything felt so insurmountable and if something as simple as icing sugar was bad I was afraid to look at the rest of my pantry.

Once we found safe cane sugar for Ry I was so excited to make powdered sugar so that I could make him cookie icing.  Something so very simple but so very special.

Powdered Sugar

1 cup cane sugar
1/4 cup tapioca starch

Put both ingredients into the vitamix and blend until a fine powder.  Store in a jar and use as needed in recipes.

I have found that I need much less of my homemade powdered sugar then when I used store bought stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment