Wednesday 25 March 2015

Butternut Squash Soup

Everyone loves soup and no one loves it more then when you are not feeling well.  People without allergies take it for granted that when they get sick they can just go to the store and buy soup.  We can not have store bought soup or deli soup or restaurant soup.  The only soup being eaten in our house is homemade.  I do not think that many people will argue with me when I say that homemade is sooooo much better then store bought.

I love soup because I can make huge batches of it and freeze it single serving sizes and pull out when we need.  It is super handy to have a freezer full of soups.  I always have at least 15 jars of soup on hand.  Soup is also pretty easy to make and pretty hard to screw up.  In our home the favorite soup of course is chicken noodle but since we have no chicken at the moment the next on the list is Butternut Squash Soup.  It is so creamy and sweet and tastes divine

Butternut Squash Soup

2 large butternut squash peeled and cubed
2-3 leeks chopped
2 tbsp. beef tallow
salt and pepper to taste
8 cups homemade beef broth

Put the 2 tbsp. of beef tallow in a pot and add the leeks.  Sautee for a few minutes and then add the broth and the squash.  Simmer until the squash is soft.  Puree with a hand blender and add salt and pepper to taste.

* I have done this recipe with just water when I did not have broth and it is not as rich but still good.
** You can substitute the tallow for coconut oil or butter



No comments:

Post a Comment