Wednesday 25 March 2015

Banana Cream Pie

I recently made this pie for a birthday and it got rave reviews.  My sister in law could barely tear herself away from the pie dish.  I will say this one of the best pies I have ever made and I literally could eat it all day.

I do not get to make it often since we have to special order ungassed bananas but when I do have bananas one of these pies is getting made.  I use my basic oat crust for this pie but you can use a graham cracker crust too.

Banana Cream Pie

Basic Oat Crust:

2 cups oats
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp sea salt
8 tbsp. coconut oil

Pulse all the ingredients in a food processor.  Press into a pie plate and bake 10 minutes at 375 F.

Pie Filling:

3 cups whole milk ( can sub milk alternatives)
3/4 cups sugar
1/3 cup flour
1/4 tsp sea salt
3 egg yolks, beaten
2 tbsp. coconut oil
3 bananas
1 tsp vanilla

In a large pan, scald the milk.  In a bowl combine the flour, sugar and salt.  Slowly add it to the milk, whisking often.  Cook over medium until it starts to thicken.  In a bowl mix the egg yolks with a small amount of the milk mixture.  Then slowly add the yolks to the pot whisking the whole time.  Stir constantly, cook for 1 minute.  Remove from the heat and add the coconut oil and vanilla.  Slice up the bananas and line the top of the crust with them.  Pour the filling over and refrigerate.  Top with homemade whipped cream if you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment