Sunday 7 September 2014

Homemade Protein Powder

So recently my husband started a diet that placed a great emphasis on more protein at each meal.  With our limited options trying to find creative ways to get the protein in there was starting to get tough.  I had tried pretty hard to find a protein powder that was free of his allergens and came back empty handed.  I figured if I already make everything we eat from scratch then there must be a way to make a protein powder that I could add to baking or smoothies to give him that extra punch.  I was able to use safe ingredients to make up a jar of protein powder that was pretty equivalent to the store bought ones except for one big difference - no additives or allergens!!  He has added it to his oatmeal in the mornings and does not seem to notice a strong taste.  I can now play around with flavours so that we can use it like a seasoning for his oatmeal or other items.

Homemade Protein Powder

1 cup organic green lentils
1 cup oats
1/3 cup brown rice

Place in the vitamix and blend until a fine powder.  Store in a jar and use as needed. 

My entire jar was 50 g total of protein.

No comments:

Post a Comment