Sunday 6 December 2015

Natural Food Colors

This time of year is a busy one with the kids in school and the holiday season.  Both the boys have busy weeks ahead making all kinds of Christmas creations with their classes which has meant that I have been busy learning how to make them safe for Rylan.  I have always maintained that we will not let this allergy hold him back and I am trying as hard as I can to make that a reality. 

Christmas time means icing, frosting and food coloring - all things that are chalked full of corn.  This means I get to learn to do it all on my own.  It was surprisingly easier then I thought to make the powdered food colors and was very happy that they turned out.

All you need is a dehydrator (or can be done in the oven) and some fruits and veggies.  I dehydrated the fruit and vegetables and then ground them up to powder in the vitamix.  I added 1-2 tsp of tapioca starch to make them thicker and then I had powdered food coloring.  You can add the powder to your icing or frosting or to make your sprinkles.

Carrots - orange
Turmeric - yellow
Spinach - green
Beets - purple
Cranberries - red



No comments:

Post a Comment