Sunday 10 August 2014

Canning Fruit Without Sugar

Kevin has many childhood memories of eating canned pears and peaches.  He loved them but his body did not love all the sugar that was in each jar.  I have to say that I stayed away from canning fruit because I did not want to have to eat all that sugar.  While it is hard to find corn free sugar even when we have too much sugar messes up Kevin and my non allergic boy Brayden. 

I was getting tired of always freezing the fruit and really wanted a way to preserve it so that it could travel with us and even withstand a power outage if we ever got one.  I had seen many recipes about canning and using honey.  We do not have safe honey and no leads on getting any.  In many recipes that  I make I had been subbing honey with coconut nectar ( a natural low glycemic sweetner).  I figured it should work for canning as well.

The first batch I did was nectarines and they turned out so delicious that every one was fighting over them.  My next attempt was doing it with mangos and they tasted awesome as well.  It is actually really simple to do and gives us a supply of food that travels easy.

Canning Fruit Without Sugar

Your fruit of choice - peeled and sliced
5 cups water
1/3 cup coconut nectar
lemons

Peel and slice the fruit and pack into your jars.  Mix 5 cups of warm water with 1/3 cup of the coconut nectar.  Add a tsp of lemon juice to each jar to maintain color.  Add the water mixture to each jar ensuring 1" of headspace.  Seal the jars loosely and then water bath can for 20 minutes.  Once the lids of popped, tighen and store.

No comments:

Post a Comment