Sunday 10 August 2014

Apple Sauce

I find it pretty ironic that each week I can a dozen or more jars of apple sauce given that I do not even eat it.  A bad experience with the sauce and my wisdom teeth getting removed as left a complete distaste for it.  While I may not enjoy it any longer it is a staple in the diets of both Ry and Kevin.  It is used to administer meds, mixed with hemp hearts for a snack or used in baking.  It travels well and is always a good snack to have on hand.

It is also super easy to make and I highly recommend if you have safe apples to make apple sauce.

Apple Sauce

20-25 gala apples (or whatever your safe apples are), peeled and cored and sliced
1/2 cup water
* you can add cinnamon or other spices to change up the flavour

Place the water and the chopped apples into a pot and simmer for 30 minutes or until the apples are soft.  Pour into jars and water bath can.  You can add lemon juice to each jar to keep color but ours never lasts long enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment