Saturday 7 November 2015

Getting Set For School

This year Rylan started preschool and while it is a milestone that most parents look forward to it was one that I had extreme stress about.  In our home Ry is safe, he is protected and the things that he encounters daily are safe for him.  Prior to preschool the only person he has ever been left with is my mother and she is fully supportive of the allergy and what we do.

I had fears of what I could not control and worries about how we would be able to ensure his safety and still make him feel included in the class and their activities.  We have been very fortunate that the teachers at the school had been very understanding and have been very willing to work with us to create a safe environment for Rylan to learn and grow in.

The first real test came on Halloween when the class had their first party.  The key with the party was not only to keep him safe but to ensure that he got the same party experience.  I volunteered to help at the party and to ensure that Rylan did not eat anything that he should not.

I busted my butt to learn how to make sprinkles, sugar cookies and safe icing so that he could participate in the cookie decorating.  I made his own version of a platter so that he could be part of the pot luck.  Any parents that made treat bags made sure to make Ry's without candy in it so that he could enjoy them.  I am happy to report that not only was the party a success but Ry left with the hugest smile on his face.  He had so much fun and was so excited that he could hardly realize that he was not doing exactly what everyone else was doing.

I often hear why people should do things for kids with allergies and the answer is simple.  Ry was born this way.  He did not ask for it or want it it is simply a small part of who he is.  His allergy is not all of him.  He is also a 4 year old boy that loves eating, loves toys and playing and loves giving snuggles.  His allergy does not define him and I will make sure that it never does.  Helping a child with allergies is showing compassion and empathy for another human being.  I am extremely grateful for those that helped make the day happy for him and had my faith restored that there are truly good people out there.

This day has given me hope that the rest of his year will be great and that as he grows he will get to experience so many great things in his life.  It has given me much needed relief that this allergy will not dictate his life.


No comments:

Post a Comment