Friday 21 August 2015

Homemade Vanilla Extract

I always thought that vanilla extract was just vanilla and a liquid.  I had no idea that there were many more ingredients inside the store bought stuff and that all of those extras would make Rylan sick.  For some odd reason I had it in my head that making my own would be really tough and so I just never tried it.  My baking was definitely missing something so I decided to give homemade extract a try.

I will say that I was pleasantly surprised by how easy it was to make my own and how I had much more confidence in the ingredients in them.  I often think back and wonder why I did not try this before and why everyone else is not making there own.

Vanilla Extract

1 pint jar
8-12 vanilla beans, sliced open
vodka to fill the jar

Place the vanilla beans in the jar and fill with vodka.  Close the jar and allow the alcohol to draw out the vanilla for 6-8 weeks.  The longer you let it sit the better it gets.  Once ready use in recipes as needed.

We use a vodka that is 100% potatoes and works for Ry.  You can use any vodka of your choosing.








No comments:

Post a Comment