Saturday 9 August 2014

Super Simple Ketchup

I remember coming home from the dietician after discovering that Ry was allergic to corn and having a list in my hands of things to take out of his diet.  The list was pretty small compared to what I now know but I remember seeing ketchup on the list and wanting to cry.
All I could think of was why on earth should there be corn in ketchup.  Research revealed that good ole white vinegar was made from corn.

I am not sure why I panicked at the thought that Ry might not be able to have ketchup but it really made me sad and scared.  Ketchup is something I grew up with, something little kids love licking off their plates and just pairs so perfectly with potatos!!  There was only one solution - learn to make my own.

I was surprised at how easy it was to make and how much better it actually tastes.  Now seeing Ry have homemade fries with ketchup brings such a warm feeling to my heart. 


Super Simple Ketchup

6oz  tomato paste
1 tbsp. sugar
2 tbsp. coconut vinegar
1 tsp sea salt
1 cup water
1 tsp garlic (dehydrated powder)
1 tsp onion powder (dehydrated myself)
1/2 tsp allspice
2 tsps. molasses

Place all the ingredients in a pot and whisk together.  Simmer over medium heat until the ketchup thickens up.  If using right away put in a jar in the fridge.

I usually make a triple batch and water bath can afterwards to always have some on hand.  It is a great base for BBQ sauce or baked beans.

2 comments:

  1. How do you make the tomato paste?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have safe tomato paste that I buy but you can make your own by boiling done tomatos until they thicken.

    ReplyDelete